Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Songs We Don't Ever Need to Hear Again

I had the radio on in the car today and while flipping through the stations, I caught two or three seconds of  the song "Old Time Rock and Roll".  It made me think that I need to make a list of songs that need to be forever retired.  If I never heard a single note of these songs again, it would be an improvement to my life.  It seems like there is no occasion where these songs don't pop up.  As always, comments and your own additions are appreciated.  I will not entertain any suggestion of "You Shook Me All Night Long".  Everyone in every English speaking country should hear that song at least once a day. 
  • "Old Time Rock and Roll"  -Bob Seger.  This was an above average song at best to the most diehard of Bob Seger fans.  To the rest of us, there is no explaination why we still hear this mediocre piece of crap so often.
  • "We Will Rock You"  -Queen  When you hear the phrase "it's a copycat league", that isn't limited to on the field strategies.  It is also rampant in stadium music.  This song is a powerful, primal force to be reckoned with the first few thousand times you hear it.  Sadly, it has been repeated to the point of impotence.  Also, as good as this song is, its sister song "We Are the Champions" is even better and a little less underplayed.
  • "In the Air Tonight"  -Phil Collins  Seriously, world.  IT'S PHIL COLLINS!!!  This song sucks.  He sucks.  Everything he does sucks and this song is no exception.  His involvement in anything in this world instantly strips it of any artistic credibility whatsoever. 
  • "Bad to the Bone"  -George Thorogood  This song was pretty sweet when I was in middle school.  This song is pretty sweet while accompanied by Al Bundy living a rare moment of glory.  Other than that, this is a very formulaic, boring, blues riffing, snoozer. 
  • "All Star"  -Smashmouth  Again, blame sports and their inability to find original songs. 
  • "I Gotta Feeling"  -Black Eyes Peas  You may be sitting here thinking, "but Mitchell, this song is only a couple years old."  Just give it time, my reader.  Give it time.  You will be hearing this song for decades to come.  I was sick of hearing it by the end of the first verse of the first time I heard it.  It may take you a few more years, but your time will come too.  Think of it as a preemptive strike.
  • "I Love Rock and Roll"  -Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.  I loved this song so much throughout my years, but objectively, it's one of their worst. 

1 comment:

  1. "I will not entertain any suggestion of "You Shook Me All Night Long". Everyone in every English speaking country should hear that song at least once a day."

    Good.. So I guess I'm not required to listen to this song every day. *thank God*

    The only song in the list that I agree with is Smashmouth's All Star. Never liked it when it first came out. Never like it period.

    The rest, they're okay. I'm not going to cry over it if I never hear them anymore, but I don't mind them either.

    ReplyDelete